Companies face a myriad of management challenges for their most important asset: its people. With antiquated, burdensome tools and offline processes, teams need a better digital solution and it is time to take control.
Roots Technology is disrupting traditional management tools and solving universal pain points by launching Sprout, a comprehensive suite of stakeholder management software-as-a-service (SaaS). Sprout empowers founders, investors and advisors to efficiently manage critical equity and people information, creating a digital companion and a single source of truth. Our initial build enables companies to build and manage important stakeholder and investment information such as its cap table, stock option plans, investment models, digital registrar, board meetings and secure data rooms.
Roots was founded by an ex-Uber Asia business executive and a China product and engineering leader with a combined 35-years of global startup experience launching companies at scale and cultivating large teams. We were founded in 2019, accepted to the Cyberport incubation program and recently raised our first external round of financing from an influential early stage investor group.
For What We Are Hiring
Sprout is looking for a talented person to help us build out our sales and customer success business across the Asia Pacific region. This role will drive strategy, advocacy, and ultimately, growth of our customer base of companies who fit one of our “customer personas”. You will start from the ground up to build and launch the very rocket ship in which you will ride. Join us in our mission to help teams better manage their stakeholders.
Team You Are Joining
You will be joining our founding team in Hong Kong and will work to strategize and build out all our future go-to-market functions including our future expansion teams. This role will also closely work with our business development and product and engineering teams to share marketplace insights and feedback.
Problem You Will Solve
As our Head of Sales, you will play a key role in building and nurturing Sprout’s sales strategy, organizational framework and culture. In this role, you will source and build external champions and manage key external and internal relationships and most importantly, grow our customer base.
- You will map, categorize and track the customer community that influences our prospects and customers.
- You will evangelize and deliver Sprout value proposition.
- You will internally “sell” ideas and collaborate with peers across Sprout to leverage contacts across all regions, and work cross-functionally with the rest of the team.
- You will operate in the field with your prior subject matter expertise in fundraising and managing stock options.
- You will also serve as a consultative representative of Sprout, meeting with customers to generate referrals.
- You will actively participate and build your network at industry events and uncover revenue generating opportunities within this community.
- You will gather and share industry trends, competition, and market insights from the larger community to champion our partners and inform our strategic planning.
- You will be the voice of the customer and collaborate with Product Management on future products and services we offer.
About the Role
- You are passionate and have comparable sales experience in SaaS or corporate sales.
- You have prior work experience with, and potentially existing contacts within, the venture capital and startup community as well as within greater business communities across the region.
- You are a strong communicator (fluency in Mandarin with simplified Chinese reading and writing is a definite plus) and an exceptional networker with specifical experience finding and connecting and decision makers.
- At Sprout, and particularly within this role, a successful Head of Sales will have the ability to operate and manage comfortably and effectively in a fast-paced, startup environment.
- You have authentic relationship building skills and are self-driven. You are detailed, organized, strategic and even creative with sourcing and closing customers.
- Also preferred, though not required, experience as an early stage entrepreneur, investor, banker, consultant or portfolio or program management professional at a venture capital firm or an institutional investment firm / family office.
- As the first member of the Sales organization, you have extensive knowledge of what a good SaaS team structure and processes looks like and will have a significant impact in personally designing and building the team.
- You have intimate knowledge of designing the right set of incentives and comp structures.
- You will serve as a mentor and coach for your team and as a business partner to the co-founders as part of our early leadership team.
- We are building stakeholder management tools for teams so we will lead by example with a world class culture that promotes diversity and inclusion and enable our people to reach their maximum potential.
- Finally, but not least, you operate transparently and as a team player with strong ethical and moral beliefs.
Comp and Benefits
You will have a unique opportunity to join a startup and learn the best practices from Silicon Valley and China against the backdrop of a traditionally financial hub as Hong Kong.
This is a startup in which you will learn and be compensated with a combination of cash, performance incentives and an equity stake that will also grow as we hit operational and strategic milestones. We will be expanding our benefits to include a full range of benefits.
Other perks will be related to created a fun, comfortable working environment that seeks to balance and award outright sprinting, pure hustle and a sustainable work-life balance.